What is Your Challenge and Solution?

term limits for members of congress: we need a constitutional amendment -14 years masi

The special interest groups have to much influence and access. By limiting time in office and reducing the re-election campaign funds that are required per member we may be able to turn over membership and distribute the political power more fairly among congress. Get rid of seniority preferences.

73 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Marian Summers shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jim Brasfield commented  · 

I would personally put the cap at 8 years for all office holders. I would also institute a policy that says that you can not campaign in any way, shape or form until 90 days prior to the election. By the time the election comes around, after two years of campaigning, I don't give a (expletive deleted).

• John Franco commented  · 

14 years is generous. And get the damned money out of politics! I also think that once you've worked in government you should be barred from being a lobbyist for at least 10 years.

• Phyllis McGregor commented  · 

If there were term limits, we might get congressional representatives who actually vote by logic and conscience, instead of campaigning constantly for the next election. And no lobbies would corrupt them, because they would be buying a dead horse. Seems like a solution to me, and what a breath of fresh air to actually hear what our reps are thinking, instead of what they think we want to hear. Would cut money needed to run, and we would get more of regular people as our reps, not a crew of elites and lawyers.

• Patricia commented  · 

I wrote both our President & vice-President asking for HELP. My husband invented PetWaste-A-Way, it liquefies dog waste where the dog leaves it in 8 to 10 seconds www.petwasteaway.com .My husbands job of 35 years with Hamilton Sundstrand went over seas six years ago and we have run out of money and can not get it to market. We have spent over 60 thousand dollars. We have a great new innovation that would sell in both the pet care & lawn & garden industries. We have a patent with another one coming soon, two working prototypes. We have not been able to find a company to license it from us, we believe it is because of the economy. PetWaste-A-Way will sell millions according to our market analysis & could be made in America. They both wrote me back basically they where saying too bad so sad!! WHAT my goverment can NOT help me THANKS A LOT!! They both said no. We voted for them because we believe in them. Now I hear all this from them we are going to get jobs in America. We want new ideas, I don't understand Mr. President!!

• Anonymous commented  · 

Term limits. 2 terms for the House, 3 terms for the Senate. Former members of congress cannot lobby congress. Outlaw all paid lobbyists. In order to lobby members of the House, you must live in that congressional district and to lobby the Senate, you must live in that state. All congressional campaigns will be paid for by the government. Each candidate gets the same amount of money. No outside money from anyone. Put very tight controls on the money.

• Tom Nocket commented  · 

A two term limit for all Senators and US Reps.Eliminate lobbying of our government officals period! Each night I listen to reports of how difficult it is to deal with the corruption of these governments we are trying to form in the middle east.I wonder if another country came to the US to do the same would say about the level of corruption in our government?

• Simon Olesen commented  · 

Agreed. Presidents have term limits, why dont congressmen? All seniority does is insulate the legislative process from change, and right now, we desperately need a responsive federal government. Many of these reforms cannot wait 8 or 10 years until enough sympathetic representitives are elected. Congress needs to find a way to be more in-touch with the people.

Feedback and Knowledge Base