or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DAN 1 commented  · 

The media, as We know it today, is a product of the corporations. It IS their property.

We The People do not have to go there. Better to turn the TV off.

But there are a few channels that are supposedly "Public". Go to those. Then build more. We have the potential to build "media" that could surpass the corporate products. That better reflects Our Better Selves. That shows Us Our Truthful Potentials.

• Last Iconoclast commented  · 

At least we still have PBS and C-Span,... for now!

• Alan L. commented  · 

As I talk with Republicans over these issues with multinational corporate- ownership of government, health care, media, retirement insurance, and even, potentially, education, I am met with some kind of invisible wall of rationalization. Nowhere in the new right-wing media is there any credible discussion of these realities. They are essentially blinded by their own light (I know, I was one of them). Dylan is doing the correct thing here: creating a groundswell. I'm trying to engage my city in the newspaper commentaries. I haven't found many converts, but people do become interested. They know they are worried about something, but they think it's just government. It's more than that, though. It's our entire culture being ransacked.

• greggy commented  · 

I'm not clear as to what can be done in this area, but certainly the concentration of media properties into the hands of essentially 6 corporate entities has the potential to hinder the free flow of information and certainly information concerning these 6 holding companies. Perhaps a law limiting large media conglomerates from acquiring internet news properties above those that represent established media properties already a part of their holdings. And a return to stricter limits on the number of all properties in any single media market. Free speech being so integral to an informed democracy and the entrepreneurial spirit in Americans in particular requires the free flow of ideas as well as loose, informal check on incipient or destructive tendencies to grip some minds or societies.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Re-establish the "Fairness Doctrine" that Pres Reagan dismantled in the media so the public can get both sides of an issue pro/con and decide for themselves.

• Freethinker commented  · 

Even NPR has become a mouthpiece for purely corporate propaganda. NPR regularly insults its audience by broadcasting marketing and public relations messages from our political handmaidens to corporate interests (all elected officials and their representatives). This state of affairs represents a real threat to critical thinking and freedom that arises when the fourth estate is subsumed by those who wish to promote economic and financial ignorance.

• Simon Olesen commented  · 

This problem has reached critical mass, and as demonstrated by the 2010 midterm election, we are obviously a brainwashed electorate. We need a resurgence of investigative media to educate the American voter, and a more comprehensive political dialogue like this one here to expedite the democratic process. The internet represents a great way for citizens to get together and talk about current political climates and possible solutions, and our government needs to do more to provide an open forum for discussion.

• RanRan2 commented  · 

If Comcast is allowed to buy NBC - then the free press in this country will have been dealt a huge blow. An educated citizenry is essential to democracy - but when big money controls the news, which people tend to parrot, the dialog becomes that much more difficult. Imagine another FOX News shilling for the right.

• jobrien commented  · 

I just watched Senator Kyl bemoaning the fact that Harry Reid was trashing the holy season of Christmas by keeping the Senate in session to deal with the Start Treaty. Mall shopping over national security? Christianity besmirched? Come on. Here's the senator who earlier was holding up the treaty for tax breaks for the wealthy few. Kyl goes before the national media and talks such overt nonsense. That he feels comfortable enough to insult the American people's intelligence says a lot. Or maybe he feels the owned media has already softened the American citizen/consumer addled brain that he can get away with this and keep a straight face. God help us if the latter is true.

• Xavier commented  · 

I think that Edward R Murrow said something like, "television could be a great for education, or it could be a box of tubes and wires!" Worst of all it has become the corporate propaganda machine!

• Dragonfly Chase commented  · 

Education is key. When people are hypnotized with lies they want to believe, they must be given proper facts, data, and taught critical thinking and how to spot a shill!

• James commented  · 

probably one of the most important and least understood. If non-news orientated corporations and investment groups own the media then they can regulate the news flow to their advantage, swaying public opinion in one direction or another to the benifit of corporations and not the people. A corporate controled press is needed for a corporate controlled government! A free press was one of our most important founding principles.

Feedback and Knowledge Base